About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Sunday 23 August 2009

To decorate or not to decorate

To decorate or not to decorate... was NEVER the question. Granted I am only in this tiny apartment for 5 months, but I can't help but to make it feel like home. Not only do I enjoy the finish product of a well accessorized living space, but it's the process that makes me excited. Things like organizing a bookshelf, froofing the walls, and picking out affordable pillow patterns are more entertaining to me than, dare I admit, facebook, even!


For me, someone who has moved six times since high school graduation 5 years ago, likes change, and part of moving into a new place is using a little creativity. My style and tastes have changed dramatically over these past 5 years. My freshman year dorm room was bright pink and lime green! As much fun as it was to compare our neons to the other polka dots and IKEA themed hall mates' rooms, I am maturing into my current very brown phase (except the kitchen. I think a kitchen should alwys be bright). My brown is accented with metallic. I am increasingly a fan of metallic. The creatvity comes into play when the monetary resources are running low. As a college student, broke a way of life. To compensate, I rely on donated furniture, borrowing, slip covers, hand-me-downs, garage sales, clearances, and alternative uses for everyday items. Creativity is making the most out of what you have. Ex - frame wrapping paper, use a pot to hold kitchen utensils, candle holder to hold pens


Spray painting has become my new favorite hobby. It's cheap, fun, quick, and with the new bottles, they are easy to use and you aren't left with a throbbing pointer-finger! Our kitchen, or what we have staked as our area-for-eating, is a freshly painted brown table and copper chairs. The copper chairs are spray painted with a "hammered look" to add some texture and I have chosen new fabric to cover the seat cushions. On our table, I added pizazz by spraying over the design of a grate. love it! - except the top of the table where I got overzelous pretending to be artistic. I will be repainting the top sometime soon.


Other newly painted items include picture frames, floor baskets, and tomorrow I paint my dresser green! (on the lookout for cheap, decorative drawer pulls/knobs)


I have one item I will struggle with this semester. The walls are beige. If I had it my way, I would obviously paint, but painting walls is a different story than an accessory. My funds are non existent and now that classes have started, my spare time is limited. Something to deliberate...


To leave the walls be, or not to be. THAT is the question.

2 comments: