About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Monday 10 August 2009

I AM(probably not)sterdam

When I think Amsterdam, I think:

  1. Red Light district
  2. Bike capital of the world
  3. Vincent Van Gogh
  4. Heineken
  5. Canals
  6. Marijuana
  7. Anne Frank Huis
  8. Tulips
  9. Crooked houses


As the six of us step off the train in the famous Amsterdam Central Station, we are immediately introduced to what makes up the Red Light District. Our five-minute stroll to the hostel consisted of stoners, gays, prostitutes, homeless beggers, and drunken college students... or as I'm guessing, the drop-outs. With pepper spray in hand and eyes bugged, I practically broke down the hostel door. I guess he was right - an Oxford don advised us on our way to the airport that the RLD is not suitable for young ladies.

After the inital shock wore away, I was able to embrace what Amsterdam had to offer. Outside the RDL, Amsterdam kept us busy. For two and half days we walked, biked, and floated around the city and visiting the attractions. Van Gogh and Anne Frank Huis were my favorite sites and well worth the pricey tickets.


If I were to work for Rick Steve or The lonelyplanet, I would encourage a bike tour. It gives you a chance to see the city in a fun and unique way. However, if you decided to rent for the day, like we did, you will not be able to sit comfortably in a chair for the next three days.

In my opinion, if you decide to make a trip to Amsterdam, do it in your youth. The nightlife encourages what's considered sinful misbehavior to those who are culturally in tune with that of mainstream American values. While I admit to a few innocent bites of space cake and a couple Heinekens before strolling the streets by night, that was the extent of my social deviance. I must have looked like a stepford wife compared to the hippies and stoners who lurk. It also didn't help that our group of six consisted of frat boys in their greek letters and well-manored girls from our very southern state of Georgia!

Our last night it was just Chelsey and me left in the city. We decided to sit down to one of the many table and chairs outlining a popular square. We enjoyed another beverage and some street entertainment before making our way back to the hostel. Can't go wrong people watching. I consider it a must-do if you're looking to really experience a city and get to know its culture. All in all it was another successful adventure. I leave Amsterdam tired, dirty, sore, enlightened, and still young.

1 comment:

  1. youa re slackign on posting. you just had a big move... .get on it! id' hate to have to start keeping 2 blogs!

    ReplyDelete