About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday 5 August 2009

The Nanny

The best summer job has been found. The nanny, or more appropriately called, Au Pair, in my case, is me this summer (emphasis on the "the"). I am beginning my blog with my experience of being an Au Pair in Oxford, England for six weeks.

After a couple days of touring Dublin, Ireland our ferry took us to our final destination in Oxford and more specifically the tiny and "quite lovely" town of Summertown (how appropriate, right?). I have been here for just over a month as of now and I have several things to cover.

ONE: Things noticeably different than in the US


  1. Efficient public transportation locally, nationally, AND overseas

  2. things are smaller - food proportions, vehicles, restaurants, apartments, toilets, refrigerators, washer/dryers (all-in-one), ovens, street width, size of shops,

  3. in the efforts of doing things in tiny ways, the Brits are eco-friendly

  4. obviously noticeable that they drive on the right (but wrong) side of the road

  5. too many coins with which to deal

  6. Oxford snobs pronounce their "t"s and the everyday Brits completely the "t" sound.

  7. everyone has a dog - a well trained dog

  8. parks are phenomenal: duck ponds, punting, HUGE playgrounds any US kid would be jealous of, mini golf, flowers gardens, kids train, aviary, large well-kept meadows

  9. cars are not a necessity

  10. Americans have a lot of STUFF


About my perfect job: Because it is perfect it will seem like I am bragging but it is all-encompassing in why exactly it IS perfect. My flight to Europe was paid for as is my place to stay. Also I am a live-in nanny so my groceries are free. I am technically on duty for about 20 hours per week. I have afternoons and weekends to travel which is somewhat paid for by my added hourly wage. Making friends was easy since I live in a college town. A new beer I discovered is Kronenbourg, which I highly recommend. We live across the street from one of the parks I described earlier and right beside a local preschool. On a sunny day, my life is fairtale-esque. Kids laughing and playing, people playing fetch with their dog, the locals taking a stroll with their spouse - It's picture perfect! I have started picturing a quaint life here.



While on duty, I must admit, it is not all glitz and glamour. I am in charge of two girls. While considering one is 12 going on 30, her younger sister, 5, puts my patience and authority to the test daily.

TWO: Nannying lessons learned

  1. I have learned to not react to her nails digging into my skin, her screams piercing my ears, or tears melting my heart.
  2. I have learned that attention is the most desired gift.
  3. I have learned the difference between babysitting and being a live-in nanny: Comfort level.
  4. I have learned to vent via emails to my own mom who, in response, sends her encouragment and wise words of advice from experience.
  5. I have learned that I love these girls unconditionally.
  6. I have learned that I am not ready to be a mom.

one of my recent tweets (http://twitter.com/fab_car): Finally peace and quiet. Either I'm turning into my mother or this is what she was talking about when she said, "One day you'll understand"

THREE: Nannying has also ruffled up some memories of my own childhood

  1. sibling rivalry - determining which bowl has the most icecream
  2. intentional yet discret pestering between siblings and knowing exactly what can set them off
  3. Obession with princesses and make-believe
  4. apple juice and Cherrios- which I never liked
  5. dancing and singing in the mirror
  6. Home is where Mom is.

This weekend is Amsterdam, three days off-duty, and last weekend overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment