About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday 26 August 2009

the almost adult

We are all familiar with the feeling when you're in class and you have to give a presentation on something you've been working on for a month. All your insecurities float to the surface of your conciousness and make your palms sweat and your legs a little weaker. Some even sway or develope temporary parkinsons disease. My problem is when I am in presentation and realize I haven't breathed in an unhealthy amount of time. And the only thing that makes me realize this has happened is when I either one, can't get through a sentence bc I have no breath, or two, because I have just let out an embarrassing sigh letting everyone ELSE know I am nervous. It also kinda sucks when your speach is slightly shaky... Makes me want to slap myself across the face and say IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER... CHILL!!!!



...So what if... what happens when it does matter?



The same feeling arises during job interviews. First of all, I have a hard time comprehending the fact that I am old enough to be job searching. Second, though I may have passed a mere class presentation using a trifold poster or whatnot.... scratch that, nobody uses those anymore... using an eco-friendly and tech-savy slide show, listing my strengths and weakness for a critical individual whose main purpose is to hound me with questions on how I am smarter, more experienced, more mature, better equiped, and just plain better than the probable-infinte amount of other applicants, is far beyond my abilities to maintain sanity.



so... IM SORRY that when I am not fully prepared for a single unexpected question like with who else am I applying for internships and why and why them, specifically, I am a little uncomfortable because to be quite honest I applied to what seems about 1000 other places to hopefullly increase what small chance I probably have of getting an intership anyway!!! If you ask me, (and not the social-norms-inventor) then I would say, "That's none of your damn business!!



post interview: My palms are dried and my heartrate is normal. I feel silly for getting nervous and even sillier for thinking that one small question where I was hesitant and unsure of myself will lead to an automatic red line drawn diagonally over my resume. I am sending my dutiful followup message tomorrow.



"Wish" me luck!

1 comment:

  1. i'm sure you were great, car! They were trying to stump you! But now, you can be prepared for that questions!

    ReplyDelete