About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Monday 11 January 2010

Job Prowling

The hoop-lah involved with graduation: the announcements, the cap-n-gown, commencement ceremony, the family get-together, and then the inevitable job search. It’s an ironic situation that you celebrate the entrance into the harsh reality of complete independence and grown-up responsibilities. In the two weeks I have been an unemployed graduate, I have learned something about the ways of the world. The term “search”, used in job search, is an understatement, if not, completely misleading. In an economy like this one and the desperate fight for positions, the process may be more accurately termed job prowling. I once heard a friend say,



“It used to be that having a college degree gave you the upper-hand. Now everyone goes to college so you have to find some other way to set you apart”.



How true of a statement. My thoughts on this made my extracurriculars justifiable. I also gained professional experience interning and taking on jobs that would benefit me in a future full-time position. I was ready… yeah right! Still, I find myself, interviewing around Atlanta, making contacts, not getting call-backs even after resurrecting every previous experience in my 23 yrs that could potentially be of interest to employers … nothing. What is disheartening through it all, is that I felt this same rejection when applying for internships over the semester. I knew already! It’s hard!

I admit I have a stubborn personality. I have never been one to handle, well, being told how to do the various things that life dishes out. Please understand, this has nothing to do with my willingness to learn or my curiousity for new experinces. Also, if I need help,I am more than willing to ask for it. I merely have the determination to figure it out on my own, I learn better that way, in fact. In job prowling, I want to prove to myself that I am a capable individual. Because the society says to appreciate criticism, I take the advice given to me. Yes, it helps. The general consenus after two weeks in the hunt: Network. If it's about who you know, prowling is taken to a whole new level. One that brings out the high school drama of who likes who better. The difference, the popularity contest weeds out those without without a decent Bachelors degree and a bit of work experience. I've witnessed how many companies will only interview those who have been referred. After that, its down to who can fancy-up their resume, sweet talk the way through an interview, and sound as professional as possible.

I need more practice, I think. That's right, not more job experience, not a higher level of education, not a higher GPA, but more practice. I'm a cub in the unemployment world. I have friends who have found their prey and can tell me where the flock of antelope gather, but I need more practice in pouncing!


The result of networking thus far: some phone conversations and one meeting. It's a start. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Carole, I loved this blog posting! I hope your inner lioness helps you to pounce one juicy, well-paid, awesome gazelle sometime soon! I'll probably be in your shoes at the end of May, so here's to counting down the days!

    ReplyDelete