About Me:

My photo
Snellville, Georgia, United States
About Me? Well, I have decided to throw my myself into the vulnerable atmosphere of online blogging. Why? Because as a born-n-raised southern girl, I’ve moved to the foreign country of Miami, FL with no friends, no espanol, and only a job to concern myself, I figured it might be fun to share my experiences. I’ve always wanted to prove I can do things on my own and here’s my chance. I like idea of blogging for a couple reasons. I want to share, and boast a tiny bit, but for the most part, I need the outlet since Im living alone, far away from the comfort of my Atlanta neighborhood. SO pardon the not-so-eliquently written wave of good & bad updates, Miami-themed what-have-yous, and a few expected pictures - all that will essentially tell the story of how I am learning to live on my own. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Atlanta Socialites

Atlanta Socialites: trendy, beautiful, confident, booze-lovers, pocket-full-a-business cards.
As a volunteer doorperson at Atlanta's chic, Aurum Lounge, I interacted with each person who walked in. The event: an issue release party for the Atlantan magazine. Guests: any and every contributor and mentionable, plus guest. I met artists, designers, chefs, and entrepreneurs. Starry eyed, I oogled over the high fashion and social etiquette of these elite Atlantians.

As the night progressed, I picked up on what seemed like a celebrity atmosphere but which turned into a mere party for the post-college who were born to live in the city. These people can gab and network with the best of them. Conversations centered around what you do, where you live, where you shop, where you eat, who you know, and how you've established yourself. It's fitting for the issue celebrated, "The Gold Standard", featuring Atlanta's bests in every category. Atlanta's best, including people, apparently. When I say best, I mean best-known.

For a quick how-to guide, to be "in" with this crowd:


  1. Go to be seen
  2. Smile... but not all the time
  3. Always have something to say
  4. Have a job
  5. Visit art galleries
  6. at least be able to recognize the big designers
  7. Go to the popular restaurants but don't eat the food (skinny show-offs)
  8. Have business cards in an easy-to-reach pocket and have a reason to give it out within the first two minutes of conversation. (comical to watch!)
  9. Forget your insecurities. Especially if you are the youngest one there, wearing a borrowed outfit and shoes that don't go, never been to an art gallery, don't know designers, can't afford to go to restaurants, love food, and don't have business cards because you don't have a job!

It's this kind of scene that is inticing and if you can keep up, it even borders thrilling! The Aurum Lounge provides for a sophisticated place to taste the trendy new beverages (TYKU and Sapporo) or go for the old favorites of vodka-cranberry or your gin-n-tonic. I may be biased because of the people in attendance but I would bring my own group here on a weekend if we were in the mood to wear our heels (which means I would be braving the crowd measuring in at a mighty 6'3'').

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment